Sunday 6 March 2011

What's next for Journalism?

I think print journalism will continue to decline and to be honest, I can’t see it being around for much longer. And for my fellow students who say they still enjoy a good old paper, well, you ought to, you study journalism. For every other student, who isn’t interested in becoming a journalist, this type of news consumption just doesn’t happen. I’ve worked in many young social places like pubs and gyms, and your average conversation covers topics such as “pakis” are taking our jobs and Blackpool F.C is scum. These are not the opinions of people who read The Times every morning.

Therefore, journalism needs to continue to progress with the generation and we need to stop trying to cling on to old traditions. UK journalism often puts people into two groups: old and dull or young and stupid. Although a young chap from work thought Gaddafi was the monkey from Lion King, I do believe proper news should be made more accessible to young people and they can't just be fed sensationalised nonsense. If making BBC Breakfast into Brunch will cater for the lazy, or if having Harry Potter-esque newspapers with moving images will attract the dreamers, that’s where we should be heading.


I’m excited about the future of journalism. With each new technological advance, we’re making news “cool”, and opening it out to a wider audience. I yearn for the day, where I can talk about the popularity of Barack Obama without having to add, you know, the hot black president…

1 comment:

  1. Love the fact that you put a picture of Daniel Radcliffe on this!
    I agree and disagree , I think in about 10-20 years there is going to be something new to rival the internet but this doesn't mean that it will push online journalism out, i think that print is going to be around for alot longer but local newspapers may dissapear and just be available online.

    ReplyDelete